Daily News and Current Affairs
2.75 Lakh People Avails CLSS Under PMAY (U)
- Nearly 2.75 lakh beneficiaries have availed a subsidy scheme under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), with Gujarat (88,000) topping the chart.
- Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh had the most number of beneficiaries under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) after Gujarat.
- The PMAY (U), launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in June 2015, aims to ensure “Housing for all by 2022” by providing financial assistance to beneficiaries.
Karnataka Gets Permission For Mekedatu Project:
- Central Water Commission (CWC) has given approval to Karnataka’s disputed Makedatu Project on river Cauvery and asked the Karnataka government to formulate detailed project report for the Makedatu Project. Makedatu is a deep gorge situated 100 km away from Bengaluru.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: H. D. Kumaraswamy
- Governor: Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala
EDrishti Software Launched To Help Railways Minister Keep Track Of Punctuality Of Trains:
- Indian Railways launched a software named- ‘eDrishti’, that will enable the Union Railway Minister Shri. Piyush Goyal to keep track of punctuality of trains as well as freight and passenger earnings from anywhere in the country.
- It has been developed by the Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS). The software has also been connected with the base kitchens of the Indian Rail Catering and Tourism Corp (IRCTC).
4th India-Mozambique Joint Commission meeting held in New Delhi:
- The India-Mozambique Joint Commission on Economic, Cultural, Scientific and Technical Cooperation held its 4th session in Jawaharlal Nehru Bhavan, New Delhi.
- The meeting was chaired by the External Affairs Minister of India, Smt. Sushma Swaraj, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs & Cooperation of the Republic of Mozambique, Mr. Jose Condungua Antonio Pacheco.
- A MoU was signed between the National Archives of India and the National Documentation and Information Center of Mozambique, for enhancing cooperation in the area of archival management.
Andaman To Host 1st Ever Indo-Indonesian Biz Forum As Part Of Indo-Pacific Strategies:
- The first ever India Indonesia Business forum (IIBF) would be held at Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar Islands as part of policies of Delhi and Jakarta to expand their strategic partnership in the Indo-Pacific Region including Indian Ocean Region.
- The forum aims to facilitate the commercial and people to people linkages between Andaman and Nicobar Islands of India with Aceh and North Sumatera Province of Indonesia.
Manipur Sangai Festival-2018:
- Every year Manipur Tourism Department organizes annual cultural festival known as “Sangai Festival” which was previously known as “Tourism Festival” since 2010 this has been renamed as the Sangai Festival to stage the uniqueness of the shy and gentle brow-antlered deer popularly known as the Sangai Deer, which is the state animal of Manipur.
- Theme: “DESTINATION MANIPUR”. The Princess of Thailand Maha Chakri Sirindhonrn attended the 10-day festival on maiden visit to Manipur.
- Capitals: Imphal, Guwahati (Judiciary)
- Chief Minister: N. Biren Singh
- Governor: Najma Heptulla
Country’s First Owl Festival In Pune:
- The Indian Owl Festival, the country’s first owl fest, will be held at Pingori village in Purandar taluka of Pune, Maharashtra.
- The two-day festival, organised by Ela Foundation, an NGO working towards nature education and conservation, will give information on owl conservation and feature art forms like pictures, paintings, lanterns, lamp shades, posters, origami, stitched articles, poems and stories on owls.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief minister: Devendra Fadnavis
- Governor: C. Vidyasagar Rao
Maharashtra Approves 16% Maratha Quota In Jobs And Education:
- Marathas, the politically influential community in Maharashtra, will now be able to get 16% reservation in government jobs and education in the state. With the move, the caste reservation quota in the state will now reach 68% from the existing 52%.
- The bill is called the Maharashtra State Reservation (of seats for admission in education institutions in the state and for appointments in public services and posts under the state) for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Act, 201
NGT Slaps Rs 5 Crore Fine On West Bengal Government For Failing To Curb Air Pollution:
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has slapped an Rs 5-crore fine on the West Bengal government for “failing to comply” with its two-year-old directive to improve air quality in Kolkata and Howrah.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Keshari Nath Tripathi
Empathy Campaign Launched To Spread Pan-India Awareness About Hepatitis Disease:
- Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences has launched an Empathy campaign to spread a pan-India awareness about hepatitis disease. The initiative will help generate awareness about Hepatitis B and C.
- It was launched at Metro Bhawan, New Delhi in presence of Managing Director of DMRC. Dr. Mangu Singh, and Director ILBS. Shiv Kumar Sarin.
3rd ASEAN – India Business Summit (AIBS) Held In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:
- 3rd ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) India Business Summit was organised by the ASEAN India Business Council (AIBC) Malaysian Chapter in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- It was organized under the guidance of Ministry of International Trade and Industries.
- Spice Garden group of restaurants owner Pardeep Batra was awarded the special ASEAN – India Achievement award for the businessman of year.
BANKING & BUSINESS
RBI Moves To Ease Liquidity For Non-Banking Finance Firms:
- In a move to make more liquidity available to Non-Banking Finance Firms, the Reserve Bank of Indiahas relaxed the securitization norms by relaxing the minimum holding period requirement.
- RBI has decided to relax the Minimum Holding Period (MHP) requirement for originating NBFCs, as they are now allowed to securitize loans with maturity of more than five years after holding them for six months on their books, as compared to one year earlier.
Indian Economy Likely To Grow At 7-7.4 Per Cent In FY19: NCAER
- According to a report by the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER), the real agriculture Gross Value Added (GVA) is envisaged to grow at 3 per cent and real industry GVA at 7 per cent in 2018-19.
- GDP growth rate at market prices estimated at 7.4 – 7.7 per cent for 2018 – 19.
- The current account balance and central fiscal deficit, as percentages of GDP, are projected at –2.3 per cent and 3.2 per cent respectively.
- Headquarters: New Delhi ; Director – General of NCAER: Dr Shekhar Shah
India Has Highest Number Of Children And Adolescents Living With HIV In South Asia: UNICEF Report
- An estimated 120,000 children and adolescents aged 0-19 were living with HIV in India in 2017, the highest number in South Asia, according a report by UNICEF named ‘Children, HIV and AIDS: The World in 2030’ which warned that around 80 adolescents will be dying of AIDS every day globally by 2030 if progress in preventing transmission is not accelerated.
- In 2017, the estimated number of children under 5 years old newly diagnosed with HIV was 43 per centlower than the comparable estimate in 2010 a decline greater than the 35 per cent recorded globally.
- Headquarters: New York, United States; Head: Henrietta H. Fore.
India Is The Fastest Growing E-Commerce Market: Report By Bain & Company
- According to the Consultancy firm Bain & Company’s latest report states that, India has the fastest growing online retail market among top global economies.
- India’s online retail market had a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 53% from 2013 to 2017.